1. Name your files before uploading them into Ektron.
My recommendation is to keep it short and simple. Avoid having spaces between the filenames. Use underscores if you need to separate words. PC and MACs and different browsers act differently in the URL if you have spaces. To make up the spaces, different browsers use characters like “&”, or “%” to fill in the missing spaces. This makes the URL hideous and in cases, the URL can break if you try to copy and paste the URL in an email. I recommend don’t get too fancy with naming your files. Keep it generic, so that if you have to replace or over-write the old one from time to time, you can simply use the same file name for the new one and just over-write the old one in the system. Just let us know if you need over-write access if you don’t already have it, email us at webservices.usfca.edu
Good examples of file names:
2. Log into Ektron
3. Click “Workarea” at the bottom of the page. The “Workarea” window will pop up.
4. At the top of the “Workarea” window, you will see “desktop”, “Content”, “Library”, etc.
5. Click on the “Library” tab. (If you see an error message at this point, some do and some don’t, just continue with the next steps.)
6. On the left, the folders will show up. Navigate to your “docs” folder or the folder that you want to upload your document(s) to.
For example: Destinations>College of Arts and Sciences>Comparative Literature>docsfolder
7. Make sure the folder you want is highlighted so that you are uploading your docs to the correct folder.
8. Near the top of the “Workarea”, locate the green “+” sign. If you rollover it, it will read “Add”. Next to it is the magnifying glass, and then by default, “Images” is the first drop down. Switch to to “Files” in the dropdown and this will tell you if there are already files uploaded into your particular folder.
9. to add a document, click on the green “+” sign, or the “add” icon
10. If your “Workarea” window is not large enough, you will need to expand it, either by holding down the click on your mouse and dragging the lower right corner or clicking the “maximize” button (top right corner of the browser) to enlarge the “Workarea”. You want to enlarge the “Workarea” so that you can see the “Browse” button underneath “Filename”.
11. Click “Browse” and locate the file that you want to upload into Ektron on your computer. Double click on your file or click “Open” so Ektron will not know here your file is located.
12. Under “Title”, type in the Title of the document. Here you can use spaces, upper and lower cases if you want.
13. If you want to be more descriptive, you can add a description of the file in the “Description” field. This is an option. You do not have to.
14. Click the “Save” button when done. It looks like a little diskette.
15. Once done, your file will be uploaded to the correct folder.